Wednesday, May 25, 2016

TRL: Totally Really Lame

Hey

Hey guys

Hey guys can I talk about something weird

It’s about the music video to the song “In The Summertime” by Mungo Jerry which first of all that name but anyway

The music video is obviously the very first music video ever recorded. Nobody knows what to do. Nobody knows what shots to make. Nobody knows how to act.

I love it.

I love that every time the lead singer looks at the camera, I feel like he’s somehow caught me in a place I’m not supposed to be and is losing his patience with me.


I love that every time the camera lingers on his weird ass afro and sideburns combo, he slowly, slowly, slowly loses all of his enthusiasm for singing this song.

I love that they’re in a town or something and the recurring shot is of a random apartment tower, driving around it in circles.


DO IT AGAIN, DRIVE AROUND AGAIN, the director said. WHAT DO WE KNOW, MAYBE THAT’S WHAT MUSIC VIDEOS ARE

I love that halfway through, they realize they’ve run out of whatever so they just play the music video again. Is it the exact same shots? I honestly can’t tell because I giggle every time the lead singer’s eyes dart off camera.

“Am I… am I doing this right? Jim? Jim, talk to me man!”

At least the piano player is having fun with his great beard and terrible mastery of the playback lip sync.
 
I can't help but hear a Tommy Wiseau laugh

BUY HUSH PUPPIES
“How should we shoot this effeminate long-haired dude?” “I dunno, how about pretty much literally up his nose?”

Do you think you can drive people insane with the piano part to this song, isolated, played on repeat? I don’t think it would even take the entire length of the music video to do it either. I think they’d hear the lick repeated for the fourth time and go all Stephen King’s Cell, murderous zombie style.

I love the world’s worst depiction of people having fun and I think that says too much about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment