Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spring Break Day 3: Queen Anne of Green Gables


            Sorry about not getting this out last night (that’s what he said). I was just too tired and didn’t quite feel like putting in the effort (that’s what she said). No, but seriously folks, I got back to our room after a night walk and got into bed, which was a mistake. The beds at this hotel are the third best thing about it, after the amazing sheet set and the fact that I can see the Space Needle less than 500 yards away out of my window. When the hotel was subtitled “By the Space Needle,” they weren’t lying.
            In my post from Sunday, I talk about going to Pike Place market, which was awesome and amazing and incredibly expensive. Not on an item to item basis, but an “Oh look this jam jar has my name on it and I’m going to buy it because of that,” kinda way. On top of that, using several $2.25 busses to get to the University District Sunday night for St. Patrick’s Day racks up the dollars. Add to that the numerous townie bars we found (I recommend 5 Points in Denny’s Triangle immensely, if only for the sticker they had saying “I F**K NUNS”) and you’ve got yourself a pretty pricey day.

            Needless to say, we thought we’d play it cool with the buying things for Monday. And you know what that means! LONG WALKS BABY. The Space Needle is part of this entire complex that was set up when Seattle hosted a World’s Fair back when those things still were happening. This place is one of those funny contradictions where it’s loved by visitors (cause it’s a straight beautiful 3 square blocks) and probably hated by life-long Seattleans, because it’s not a parking lot. Seriously, every part of Seattle I’ve seen is furiously short on parking. Even the residential neighborhoods I’ve seen are terrible at that. But who cares, it’s friggin’ Seattle. Bike lanes abound in addition to terrific bus service and even a trolley I saw.
            I feel terrible about this because we promised to eat at local places all week, but we couldn’t find anywhere to go last night for dinner and ended up eating at the fanciest McDonalds I’ve ever seen. It had two floors, for goodness sakes, and an aquarium with an angel fish inside. Like, you can’t pay to screen for horse meat but you can buy those awesome fish? As RZA says on Kanye West’s “So Appalled”, “Five star dishes/different exotic fishes/ you know this shit is/ f*ckin’ reedickulus.” Note: Reedickulus is the correct phonetic spelling of what RZA raps.
            But for the afternoon, we were in straight off-the-beaten-path mode. Walking first to the Space Needle then bypassing it because $20 is a little steep for a nice view, we made our way through an amazing park with a pretty sweet fountain. The whole thing is in a little bowl you can walk down. Apparently in the summer, they turn it on full blast and the mist sprays across the entire bowl. But for now, at a balmy 50 degrees, the fountain is at a bubbling pace. We walked down and back up, and thought the walls of the bowl were pretty steep. Little did we know what lay ahead of us.
EXOTIC LOCATIONS
             Following our noses and “What’s that?” style trip planning, we slowly made our way to the Queen Anne District, which, with the fact that people owned entire houses instead of apartments, is pretty dang hoity-toity. Not that I’m complaining. The houses all had matte finishes and even the condos were incredibly well painted on the outside. One house had a friggin’ courtyard, for goodness sake. But the most amazing thing about this place was the view. A 45 degree steep hill prevents too many people from making the trip, but we’re young and dumb, so I dragged Pat up to the very top. In the distance was the Space Needle, backed by the rest of the criminally under-recognized Seattle skyline. To our right was a mountain range, although we couldn’t get too many good, clean looks at it because there was always another building in our way. We tried like the dickens, believe you me.
I'm good at taking pictures. My phone? Not so much.
            Queen Anne’s high school is crazy. At the tip top of the hill, it’s the largest building, and recognizable from miles away. On our first morning here, I looked up at it and saw the giant stone building looking out over the city and guessed that it was either a courthouse or some kind of government building. I suppose the public school system is technically a government institution, but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting. Can you imagine going to school there? I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on TEACHING much less learning some boring subject. Out your window is a crazy view of my new favorite city, and you’re supposed to be solving for x? Nuh uh, sister. That school has to have the best view short of $20 dollars in the city, because it sits on the crest, with no other buildings to block its sight line.
            I’m going to apply to student teach there.
            I’m probably not going to make it, but I’m going to apply.
            After our trip to the crazy high hill, we walked back down. Obviously. What wasn’t so obvious is that on a hill that steep, downhill is just as difficult as going up. You’re leaning back so far it probably looks like you’re trying to Bernie to some unheard rap beat. Feet slap the pavement loud enough to know when someone just turned onto your block. On the descent, we stopped at a local (I think, it could just be a chain I’ve never heard of) coffee shop. I don’t like coffee, so I bought a juice. It was four dollars to the coffee’s $1.80. I made a GOB-level mistake for buying there instead of just walking across the street to the 7-11 and getting something there.
Graffiti is also better in Seattle.
            Today, we’ve got just as little planned and I’m excited. It's our last full day here, and I want to make the most of it by not planning anything at all. I’m prepared for a run back up to the high school, and after my legs are surgically reattached, nobody knows what we’ll do.
            It’s set to be another great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment